- To provide students a good environment to understand the technology know-how, testing, service and set-up of modern motor vehicles.
- To provide facilities for undergraduate projects and postgraduate research projects.
1.6L, 1.8L & 2.0L DOHC VTEC Racing Engine Series
DOHC VTEC is an acronym for Double Overhead Camshaft Variable Valve-Timing and Lift Electronic Control. This type of engine uses electrohydraulic control system to vary both valve timing and valve lift according to the engine speed. With this technology, the engine can optimize its performance at different speeds. Each class of engine also installs extra sensors and actuators so as to enable the student to monitor and adjust the engine set-up via a programmable engine management system.
|Honda B16A DOHC VTEC engine||Honda B18C DOHC VTEC engine||Honda K20A DOHC i-VTEC engine|
Programmable Engine Management System
Variable Dual-Fuel i-VTEC Type-R Engine
LAUNCH X-431 Scan Tool and Automotive Scope Meter
500 HP Programmable Chassis Dynamometer and Eddy Current Engine Dynamometer
The chassis dynamometer can simulate different road conditions in vehicle tests. The performance of a vehicle, such as horsepower, torque, engine speed and brake specific fuel consumption, can be easily measured by driving a car on the chassis dynamometer. The data obtained is very useful for vehicle examination and engine tune-up.
Emission Gas Analyzers
The emission gas analyzers measure air ratio, engine oil temperature, engine speed, and the amount of CO, CO2, NOX, O2, HC and carbon soot in the exhaust. The purpose of making these measurements is to determine the status of an engine and control the engine emissions.
Multi-belt Continuously Variable Transmission Test Rig
Suspension Tester and Double-wishbone Hybrid Active and Semi-active Air Suspension
- Automotive engine tune-up using programmable engine management system.
- Computer-aided vehicle diagnosis.
- Gasoline and diesel engine emission measurement and control.
- Performance analysis of motor vehicles using chassis dynamometer.
- Emission and fuel consumption tests under different driving cycles and loads.
- Practical vehicle and mechanical design appreciation.
- Performance analysis of automotive transmissions and suspensions. (Link)
- Motor vehicle service exercises.
|EMEB360||Fundamentals of Automotive Engineering|
|EMEB363||Internal Combustion Engines|
|ELME810||Advanced Topics in Electromechanical Engineering (Advanced Automotive Engineering)|
Recent research projects conducted in the Lab
- Design, Calibration and Control of a Variable Dual-fuel Automotive Engine System, Funded by the University of Macau
- Multiple-objective Control and Hardware-in-the-loop Testing of Regenerative Active Suspension Systems for Automobiles, Funded by the University of Macau
- Modelling and Optimization of Bio-fuelled Automotive Engines using Advanced Machine Learning Techniques, Funded by the University of Macau
- Design and Control of Noise-insensitive Active Vehicle Suspensions Based on Wheelbase Preview, Funded by the University of Macau
- Simultaneous Fault Diagnosis of Automotive Engine Based on Ignition Patterns, Funded by the University of Macau
- Model Predictive Engine Air-ratio Control using Online Relevance Vector Machine, Funded by the University of Macau
- Automotive Engine Idle-speed Control Optimization using Artificial Intelligence, Funded by the University of Macau
- Modelling and Optimization of Automotive Engine Dynamic Performance under Numerical and Nominal Data, Funded by Science and Technology Development Fund of Macau (FDCT)
Selected community service conduced in the Lab
- Selection of Environmental Friendly Vehicles for Macau – Phases I & II, Institute for the Development and Quality, Macau (IDQ) and Environmental Protection Bureau of Macau S.A.R.
- Evaluation on Environmental Friendly Taxis for Macau, IDQ and Environmental Protection Bureau of Macau S.A.R.
- Green Energy and Fuel Cell Car Design Summer Camp, Funded by FDCT
- Applied Electromechanical Engineering in Light Rapid Transit Summer Camp, Funded by FDCT
- Testing and Evaluation of Tail Gas Filters for Macau Diesel Vehicles, IDQ, University of Macau (UM), and Environmental Protection Bureau of Macau S.A.R.
- Pilot Test and Performance Evaluation of Electric Vehicles in Macau, UM and Companhia de Electricidade de Macau
- Motorbike Technology Summer Camp 2009, Funded by FDCT
- Power and Emission Tests of Vehicles using Alternative Fuel, IDQ, Macau and Civic & Municipal Affairs Bureau of Macau S.A.R, (IACM)
- Development of Diesel Smoke Lug-down Test for Macau, UM, IDQ and IACM
Our lab has an extensive connection with many other similar laboratories such as the automotive engineering laboratory in the Guizhou University. Besides, our lab also has connection with industry and local government agencies.
- FDCT Postgraduate Student Science and Technology Research & Development Award, 2014
- Best of Department, The Dean’s Final Year Project List, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Macau, 2013
- Excellent of Faculty and Best of Department, The Dean’s Final Year Project List, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Macau, 2012
- Encouragement Award, National Instruments (NI) – National University Student Final Project Paper Competition 2009
- 1st Prize, 10th Challenge Cup – National Inter-varsity Science and Technology Competition
- Champion, 2nd Motor Vehicle Technology, Development and Design Competition of Macau
- First runner-up, 2nd Motor Vehicle Technology, Development and Design Competition of Macau
- First runner-up, 1st Motor Vehicle Technology, Development and Design Competition of Macau
- Second runner-up, 1st Motor Vehicle Technology, Development and Design Competition of Macau
- 2nd Prize, 8th Challenge Cup – National Inter-varsity Science and Technology Competition